Monday, September 9, 2013

A cuppa with... Susannah Tucker


Susannah Tuckers gorgeous photographs are inspired by subjects close to my own heart, all things vintage, blue summer skies, beaches, spring blossoms, so it's really no surprise I'm drawn to them.  However it's not just the subjects that I find so compelling.  I love how the angles they're taken from draw you in, looking up through blossoms, or low shots looking out to sea, as if it were the view from your beach towel.  I also love the light she captures, light that makes you want to squint in memory of long hot summer days looking up through branches, or watching clouds drift, perhaps naming shapes you spy, as is our households favourite game at the moment. 

It's great to find out a bit more about the woman behind the images that I've admired for so long, and to discover what inspires her.  For more about Susannah and where to buy her art, visit her website here. Happy reading x

Where do you call home?  
We live in a small town in New Zealand, in the stunning Wairarapa region.  We lived for 6 years in Melbourne, and half of my heart will always be there in that amazing city, but for now, the Wairarapa is a fantastic, stunning place to raise young children.
When did you get into photography and what prompted you to do so?  
I was given my first camera from my parents when I was 8.  I have always loved taking photos, and it has just been an evolving passion.  I decided to take the plunge and open an online Etsy shop back in 2008, when I was at home with my daughter – it has been wonderful to work away at it, opening a Felt shop, starting a blog, slowly building a portfolio, while being at home with my children.  So many opportunities have presented themselves along the way and I can’t wait to see what unfolds in the future.

Are you self taught or have you studied?  
I am self taught.  I always thought that to ‘be a photographer’ I would have to study, and while I would one day love to be able to study photography, I am happy for now teaching myself.   
Where do you find your inspiration?  
Everywhere!  Particularly in the landscape – the stunning region we live in with its wide open skies, and country roads lined with wild flowers is always breathtaking.  I love trips to the beach.  The conversations I have with my little ones are constant sources of inspiration for the words and sayings I like to use on my images. 
Tell us what your ideal weekend looks like...  
A sleep in, waking to a beautiful blue-sky-white-fluffy-cloud day, good coffee and a trip to the beach with my family and picnic...with camera bag of course.


What is your favourite vintage find?  
My collection of old cameras and typewriters.  


What are your favourite blogs?
I can be quite fickle in my blog reading, but I have 2 daily reads that I have loved for years.
SouleMama – this family is just so adorable 
A Cup of Jo – she is based in New York, need I say more! 
Do you have a favourite pearl of wisdom you'd like to share with us?   
My Mother often says ‘This too shall pass’, and I like it.  It is quite comforting when I am feeling dragged down by grey skies.

Thanks so much Susannah, I've particularly enjoyed your whimsical photos on this dreary day, they've made it that wee bit brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...