Friday, June 28, 2013

A cuppa with... Jennie from 'A little vintage'


I discovered Jennies blog, a little vintage, quite randomly while checking the net for availability of suitable names, for my soon to be named MissMollyCoddle business. I was instantly drawn to her gorgeous dolls, and our shared love of re-purposing vintage fabrics.  I ordered a custom doll for Poppets first birthday, and was very impressed with the craftsmanship (yup, very well made indeed, and I'm a fussy customer!), the skill behind her hand painted face, and the fabrics carefully chosen to compliment the vintage doily I sent Jennie to use.  She's a very treasured doll and is often admired and commented on by visitors.  

I've watched Jennies dolls evolve over the last few years, and in my opinion they just get better and better.  They've really become works of art.  What I love most about Jennie's dolls, is that although each doll is unique, with most being custom orders, they still have a distinct 'a little vintage' look to them, which not only makes them stand out, but makes them that extra bit special.


It's a pleasure to introduce you to Jennie (though I'm sure there will already be many a fan reading this) and  I hope you enjoy finding out a bit more about this very talented, lovely lady.  Pop on over to her blog too, and be sure to follow it, it's always a delight seeing her latest doll pop up in my inbox.


Tell us a bit about yourself...
I'm a stay at home mum of two gorgeous girls. 
People send me their sentimental items - usually either their children's old baby clothes or a grandparents things. I then make a doll for them from these special items, so that they have a one-of-a-kind keep sake - full of memories and meaning.

When did you start making dolls and what got you into making them?
I started making dolls about 5 years ago now. My thoughts were to make something different, give old and interesting  fabrics a new life, but also to help people get their sentimental things out of the cupboard and have them seen/loved once again.

When do you find the time for sewing and blogging? 
Our spare room is my 'studio'. Its only recently that I've had my own space for making. I often sew late at night, so having a separate space to concentrate is wonderful. I'm much more relaxed about when I blog now - I've accepted that for me, it is really just a space to document and share with people what I'm making/creating. Its my place to look back on things - and sometimes it gives me confidence when I feel I have none! 


Do you have a favourite doll?
I am really enjoying making the Frida Kahlo dolls at the moment, though there is lots of hand sewing involved. She was such an interesting character and had alot of pain in her life. I make one leg smaller than the other - just like Frida had in real life. She was so confident - she said and wore what she wanted.
Not to mention her paintings which depicted how she felt, being restricted and in pain.


Where do you find your inspiration?
Inspiration comes from so many places. Well known people who have/had their own look or style. Kids books & movies. I'm also enjoying watching costume dramas - mainly for the costumes! Its only since making the dolls that I've been interested in that.


Where do you sell your dolls?
My favourite place to buy/sell handmade is Etsy. But I do alot more custom orders rather than sell through the online store. Once people realize they can choose what they want - the hair and eye colour etc - they would rather do that!

What's your best ever op shop score?
That would have to be our Mid Century side board. $89
Its also a fab place to store all the other op shopped goodies I find!!


What are your favourite blogs to follow and why? 
A Thrifty Mrs  A British blog full of great ideas and info.
Vintage Everyday  All sorts of vintage photos for more inspiration!
The Boo and the Boy  Lots of cool kids rooms.
Foxs Lane  Family life on a Daylesford organic farm.

Do you have a favourite 'pearl of wisdom' you'd like to share with us?
Coming from someone who wasn't  a sewer and cannot follow patterns ... "just have a go"
If you have an idea, and things don't work out straight away - keep going with it.  Sometimes its lack of support from the people around you, that can stop you in your tracks.  Don't listen to negativity. If you really believe in what you're doing, surround yourself with positive people. Including the wonderful online community - I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now without them!xx

Thanks so much Jennie for taking the time to join us for this weeks 'cuppa',  it was lovely to find out a bit more about the woman behind the dolls and blog, and I hope you all enjoyed it too.  If you're not having a cuppa already, pop the jug on, sit back down and have a browse through Jennie's blog and online store, you'll love!  My definite favourite is Miss Gracie. The red hair reminds me of my mother, not that mum is a fifties housewife, nor would she wear pigtails (except for Poppets amusement) but she'd certainly approve of the lippy shade on a redhead!  Which one is your fave?

Sarah x

1 comment:

  1. Loving that sideboard, what a score! My favourite doll is actually the one in the top photo - I can't get past those glasses and pearls. Such artistry in the faces of all the dolls though, I am always in awe of people who can draw and paint. I am strictly a paint-by-numbers girl myself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...